Wednesday, July 18, 2007

In the Summertime, when the weather is hot...

Okay, I know I promised consistency and integrity with the NEW Married... But it appears that Blogger.com has not been showing my new posts. Anyway, here's what I had planned for you for July 18th:

So recently, my jorb brought me to the Warped Tour for the first time in, oh, 8 years, and so I decided I needed to get in the mood. Sadly, that meant no Andrew Bird, no Mungo Jerry, no Porter Wagoner, no ELO, no Will Oldham, or any other music I now in my old age think it's nice or fun or funny to listen to whilst drinking wine with my adult friends. However, I also knew that did not mean 90% of the bands actually playing this year's warped tour. No, no! It meant dating myself significantly, therefore making me age even MORE prematurely, doin' some old man dance, and shouting in gibberish to the urchins and whippersnappers at my feet, "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT GOOD MUSIC IS! In MY day, we listened to the Bouncing Soooulls!! and they played EVERY Warped Tour - as FAAAAR as the eye could see! And without eye make-up!"

So yes. I listened to the first 3 Bouncing Souls records, and drove home with Rocket From the Crypt and Get Up Kids. But the focus here shall remain on the Souls - my once "all-time favorite" band; the band who sang a song I immediately dubbed "the saddest song ever written;" the band I quoted in my senior yearbook in high school (something that still rings true 7+ years later, and a sentiment Oscar Wednesday will most likely take issue with ('cept the "pizza" part): "You may think we're weather martyrs, but snow and ice make us rock harder. Punkers should be pale and pasty. The pizza here is fierce and tasty. East Coast!" I had to omit the "fuck you!" what followed. Lousy public schools... think they're so tough...).

Anyway, this got the ol' brain banana smoldering. I got to thinking about all the rad songs, and bands and mixtapes, and... yes. Yes, you kibitzing turdburglar. I am proposing a CONTEST!

okay. Well, it's not a contest, persay.

I'm going to (re)make a summer mixtape from the days of my youth. I'm asking that you, unfaithful, fickle readers, do the same. As I receive submissions, I will publish the tracklists, and we can begin open war upon them.

a few rules, stipulations, regulations, and dingleberries:
1. If you request a copy of the mix, I'll gladly send you one (name your format, and I'll do my best).
2. If you are making your own, keep it to one 90 min cassette, max, so it can also hopefully, fit on a CD (so I guess the rule is keep it to 84 min?), for those who no longer own magnetic tape reading machines.
3. Keep the mix to when you were roughly 13-15. This is sexually important to me the integrity of the contest-type thing.
4. IMPORTANT: Don't try to be cooler than you were. The point is not to make a mix of music that (in my case) was released by 1997, it is to make the most likely awesome, potentially embarassing mix that you would've left in a girl's mailbox (sounds so much creepier as an adult, doesn't it?), or given to your nerdy friend. I didn't listen to David Bowie or the Cure's deep cuts until I was like 17. That doesn't mean you didn't, but it's doubtful you had all those Television bootlegs, or early Mountain Goats cassettes when they came out, unless you are really awesome or really old, or had a really awesome/old older sibling.
5. Still have copies of old mixtapes? Post the tracklistings as comments, and make for a musical scavenger hunt!

That is all! 5 simple rules for dating my teenage daughter. go forth! You'll have my mixtape sometime in early August, most likely. And it's going to be sweetsville.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

_C'Mon & Ride It (the Train).mp3
1st Of Tha Month.mp3
Always (Techno Dance Remix).mp3
Back In The Day.mp3
Barbie Girl.mp3
Be My Lover.mp3
Blue (Da ba dee).mp3
Boom boom boom (techno trance dance mix).mp3
California Love.mp3
Coolio - Fantastic Voyage.mp3
Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise.mp3
Crossroads.mp3
Damn I Wish I was Your Lover.mp3
End of the Road.mp3
I Swear.mp3
I WISH.mp3
Killing Me Softly.mp3
Let Me Clear Me Throat.mp3
Mr. Boombastic.mp3
No Diggity.mp3
Regulate.mp3
Snow - Informer.mp3
Sweet Dreams.mp3
The Sign.mp3
This Is How We Do It.mp3
Tootsie Roll.mp3
Tupac & Coolio - Rollin' With My Homies.mp3
We Like The Party.mp3
What Is Love.mp3
Whoop There It Is.mp3
Wonderwall.mp3